An easy, healthier and vegan version of the traditional Chinese dish made with crispy tofu to be served on a bed of rice. This tofu based dish is crispy, full of flavour and spices. The sweet base of orange juice and chilli sauce gives it a very Asian inspired flavour. It is perfect served with rice and topped with spring onions and sesame seeds.
Serves 2 people
For the orange sauce:
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice or lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce
- Sriracha to taste (optional)
- 4 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- half a red chili, diced
- 1 block firm tofu, pressed and cut into “fajita” stripes
- ¼ cup tapioca or cornflour for coating the tofu
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Some spring onions, sliced
- Sesame seeds, to taste
- Prepare the tofu: press to remove all the water and then cut the tofu into “fajita” type stripes. Reserve.
- Heat the orange juice in a pan. Add the lime or lemon juice, sweet chili sauce, diced chilies and Sriracha sauce (if using). Lastly add in the soy or tamari sauce. Mix the ingredients together with a wooden spoon & let the mixture reduce & thicken.
- In the meantime, return to the tofu: place the tofu slices on a plate and add the tapioca or cornflour and cover the tofu in all sides.
- To medium hot heat pan, add olive oil and once hot, gently fry the tofu slices until they’re golden and crispy on all four sides.
- Move the tofu slices to the orange chili sauce, mix them all around so they’re well covered.
- And serve on fluffy white or cauliflower rice garnished with spring onions and sesame seeds.
Recipe inspired by BOSH