Website Mercy for Animals
(Permanently) Remote in the United States, Mexico, or Brazil
Mercy For Animals aims to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free to pursue their own interests.
As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us to help spread compassion around the globe.
We are currently seeking a vice president of public engagement to join our engagement team. In this role, you will provide global strategic leadership and mentorship for the Public Engagement Department, including social media, celebrity relations, video production, editing, and media relations. You will work with communications teams in Brazil, the United States, Latin America, and India supporting short-term and long-range goals, as well as help establish, oversee, and implement strategies, plans, and policies to further the mission of Mercy For Animals.
You will do invaluable work:
- Work with team members to develop and implement innovative and effective communications and content strategies to help Mercy For Animals advance and win campaigns, reach new and large digital audiences, and cultivate relationships with key stakeholders (journalists, celebrities, influencers)
- Oversee and mentor four–five regional communications team leaders and a full communications staff of over 20 across the United States, Brazil, India, and Mexico
- Support our public engagement teams to collaborate with other departments to achieve the organization’s communications objectives
- Balance long-term strategy and project management with agile media and social media response to ensure that developments relating to Mercy For Animals are amplified amid a rapidly changing landscape
- Optimize processes, tools, and cross-department collaboration to streamline our work and increase our impact
- Provide mentorship and support to communications teams in more countries and regions as Mercy For Animals expands
- Set and manage public engagement’s budget
- Oversee and help guide urgent and crisis-response communications for the organization
- Play a lead role in brand management
- Craft and continually update Mercy For Animals’ messaging standards and ensure all public-facing communications are consistent and aligned with our mission and values
- Assist with team projects (video, social media, celebrity relations, and media relations) as needed
- Ensure Mercy For Animals’ communications are equitable and inclusive to authentically and meaningfully grow our reach to marginalized communities
- Serve as a media spokesperson
- Maintain strong relationships and coordinate public engagement strategies with other organizations with which we collaborate
- Follow all organizational policies and ensure the Public Engagement Department is in full compliance
Your qualifications will take our engagement team to the next level:
- Mid- to senior-level experience (five years if in the United States) in communications or a closely related area
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills
- Exceptional management and leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate professionally and persuasively
- Outstanding organizational skills, with ability to manage multiple projects and relationships and to take initiative
- Commitment to the mission and values of Mercy For Animals
- Deep understanding of and commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion within Mercy For Animals and the animal protection movement; experience leading communications strategies to meaningfully engage marginalized communities and audiences
- Fluency in written and spoken English (Spanish or Portuguese as a first or second language a plus)
Is this the right fit? Absolutely, if this sounds like you:
I’m an innovative leader and a strong communicator, and I have a passion for helping my team thrive. I enjoy collaboration and value a growth mindset. Pragmatic, persuasive, and driven, I work well under pressure and deadlines and effectively manage time and resources. I am globally minded and want to help create an inclusive animal protection movement. And I’m fiercely passionate about creating a world where plant-based eating is the norm and animals are respected, protected, and free.
Compensation and Benefits*
Earn an annual salary of $75,000–$80,000 (in the United States), depending on qualifications. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3 percent of your annual earnings.
*Benefits and salary outside the United States will be shared early in the interview process.
To apply for this job please visit veganjobs.com.