Website Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
Dedicated to saving animal lives and improving human health
Seeking a Medical Assistant with at least one year of experience to provide patient care at a Washington, D.C. primary care medical center that integrates nutrition education and disease prevention into medical care.
About the Barnard Medical Center
Founded by Neal Barnard, M.D., president of the nonprofit Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, the Barnard Medical Center is a new model for medical care that integrates nutrition education and disease prevention into providing state-of-the-art medical care. Barnard Medical Center takes advantage of years of research conducted by the Physicians Committee research team and other researchers, showing how a new approach to medicine and nutrition could help prevent and reverse serious health problems.
About this Career Opportunity
The Medical Assistant will assist clinicians and medical staff to provide thorough, up-to-date care and perform a broad range of clinical administrative duties. When illness is the result of nutrition or lifestyle, addressing these causes is our priority. Essential functions and specific duties include:
- Clinical patient care
- Take patient histories
- Perform procedures and tests including phlebotomy
- Clinical administration
- Document notes in EHR (Athena)
- Coordinate referrals, diagnostics, prescriptions, and procedures
- Maintain equipment and supplies
- Cross-train and assist with front office duties as needed
- Patient education
- Assist with online and in-person nutrition education programs
- Train patients on proper usage of health monitoring devices
- Clinical research
- Assist with research protocols including participant assessments and group education and support classes
This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C. (Friendship Heights on Metro’s Red Line).
Who We’re Looking For
We are looking for a medical assistant with at least one year of experience and a demonstrated interest in plant-based (vegan) nutrition. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated success with:
- Prioritizing patient and colleague safety
- Working hard and going the extra mile for patients and colleagues
- Approaching patients and colleagues with respect and courtesy
- Holding their work to the highest standards down to the last detail
- Working as a team with patients, their families, and with colleagues
- Approaching their work with optimism
- Taking on new projects and responsibilities
If you have these qualifications along with a strong desire to help patients make lifestyle changes to maximize their health, we would like to hear from you.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required. In your cover letter please describe your work experience, your strengths, your professional goals, and your interest in the Barnard Medical Center’s mission. We look forward to hearing from you! Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis.
To apply for this job please visit www.pcrm.org.