Website Aquatic Life Institute
Primary Work Function: The Aquatic Life Institute is seeking a Managing Director to oversee our fully-remote, international team. The Managing Director’s responsibilities include creating and managing long term goals and daily execution, developing and implementing strategic plans and internal policies, cultivating programs to support the organization’s strategic direction, maintaining an open dialogue with stakeholders, and driving organizational success. In order to be successful in this role, you will need to have prior experience in program management, project management, and team management.
The ideal candidate will also oversee AAA’s programming. This would include working with certification schemes, working with our member organizations, and general Alliance project management. Alliance work would likely include research and writing, conference calls with member organizations, and keeping on top of AAA email inquiries.
The Managing Director will be charged with:
● Overseeing the yearly and monthly strategic plan of ALI and AAA, as well as creating and managing long-term goals.
● Managing a fully-remote and global team across program areas, including supervising, guiding, and delegating responsibilities.
● Organizing programs and activities in accordance with the mission and goals of the organization.
● Developing new programs to support the strategic direction of the organization.
● Developing a budget and operating plan for programming.
● Ensuring compliance with relevant legal guidelines and anticipating and addressing liability considerations.
● Maintaining positive and trust-based relations with partners, stakeholders, and industry allies.
● Developing an evaluation method to assess program strengths and identify areas for improvement.
● Implementing and managing changes and interventions to ensure goals are achieved.
● Meeting with stakeholders to make communication easy and transparent.
● Producing accurate and timely reporting of program status throughout their life cycle.
● Scheduling and leading Alliance meetings.
● Identifying and facilitating creative approaches to supporting collaboration in the space.
Additional Major Duties and Responsibilities:
● Monitoring trends and movement shifts to identify the best areas of action.
● Actively participating in movement calls, discussions, working groups, and Slack channels outside of the Aquatic Life Institute.
● Supporting ALI staff and troubleshooting alongside the President, COO, and Board.
● Prospecting potential new partners.
● Addressing questions and concerns from AAA working groups and other AAA members.
● Successful management experience, including an understanding of how to delegate and share responsibility.
● Experience/interest in developing and maintaining strong working relationships with major stakeholders.
● Strong self-direction, self-motivation, and ability to work with minimal supervision.
● The ability to work effectively with ideologically diverse partner organizations (from vegan-only to aquaculture producers improving their practices).
● Strong written and oral communication skills, especially the ability to explain one’s views clearly.
● Curiosity about and ability to rapidly acquire knowledge in areas beyond current expertise.
Preferred Attributes (we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet these):
● Graduate-level academic education in a relevant field.
● Strong interpersonal skills
● Strong organizational skills
● Familiarity with fish welfare and the fishing and aquaculture industry
● Familiarity with the animal advocacy movement and its strategies.
● Familiarity with effective altruism.
● Familiarity with intersecting issues (human rights, conservation, etc.)
Dependant on experience.
To apply, please contact: [email protected] with a short cover letter and resume. Successful applicants may engage in multiple rounds of interviews and may be asked to complete a sample task. At least two references may be required.
Applicants received before February 15th may receive priority.
Historically, we have been lucky enough to receive an overwhelming number of applications, so we apologize in advance if we do not respond to your correspondence quickly.
ALI is a proud equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and consider all applicants for employment without attention to race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical disability, mental disability, pregnancy, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, veteran status, or any other characteristic. This is core to both our ethical underpinnings and our success as a globally-engaged team. For any questions or if you are in need of any assistance, please reach out via email. If you do not meet the above qualifications but believe you would be a great fit, please feel free to apply.
To apply for this job please visit veganjobs.com.