Website Farm Sanctuary
The Legal Intern will have the opportunity to gain critical legal skills by assisting in research and providing written analysis of legal issues that impact the organization and its important strategic initiatives under the guidance of experienced Farm Sanctuary attorneys.
- Conduct legal research and provide written analysis to support Farm Sanctuary’s efforts to transform the food system, including research related to state and federal policy, and legislative strategies and litigation opportunities aimed at dismantling the supports that uphold inequitable and unsustainable practices in our food system.
- Conduct legal research and provide written analysis pertaining to land use issues, government regulations, and funding opportunities available for entities—including farm sanctuaries—attempting to begin plant-based farming.
- Support Farm Sanctuary’s legal advocacy efforts, including conducting factual research, monitoring legislation, and assisting with drafting testimony and action alerts.
- Support Farm Sanctuary’s Legal Department in other critical animal protection and food system transformation initiatives, as well as in-house legal work as assigned.
- Current law student (rising 2L or 3L)
- Interest in and experience with legal research
- Strong writing skills
- Commitment to Farm Sanctuary’s goals and mission
- Commitment to social justice, equity, anti-racism, and countering oppression
- Knowledgeable about farmed animal issues
- Knowledgeable about veganism
- Organized with strong attention to detail
- Diligent and dependable
- Able to work well independently
- Internship is unpaid
- The internship is remote, and interns must have their own access to a computer for internship activities.
- Intern must be available to commit 20-40 hours per week to internship activities for an 8-10 week period during the summer of 2021.
- Opportunity to develop and improve legal research and writing skills
- Opportunity to learn about various legal issues that impact Farm Sanctuary specifically and non-profit animal protection organizations generally; including legislation, litigation, land use, property rights, legal issues pertaining to administrative agencies (like USDA), and non-profit governance
- Opportunity to learn about Farm Sanctuary’s campaigns and programs
- Opportunity to learn more about social justice, equity, anti-racism, and countering oppression
- Opportunity to engage with a community committed to veganism and greater justice and compassion for all
- Gain valuable experience to support interest in future non-profit work, especially within vegan, social justice, animal advocacy, and sanctuary organizations
- Further the goals and mission of Farm Sanctuary to promote just and compassionate vegan living
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or age.
To apply for this job please visit veganjobs.com.