Website Fish Welfare Initiative
In alignment with our mission to improve the lives of farmed fish, Fish Welfare Initiative is expanding its operations in India. We are looking for an animal welfare, veterinary, or aquaculture professional to spearhead our direct work with aquaculture farmers, lead training events on fish welfare, advise farmers on best practices, and build a network of contacts with farmer co-operatives.
In this role you will have the opportunity to help improve the lives of millions of fish. You will be at the forefront of our work in India, working directly with producers, and thus shape the process through which our impact is achieved.
Note: We are only accepting Indian nationals, and you must be willing to relocate to Andhra Pradesh.
Who We Are
Fish Welfare Initiative (FWI) is a startup organization whose mission is to improve the welfare of fish as much as possible. We focus specifically on farmed fish, or fish raised in aquaculture.
We collaborate with corporations, governments, and producers to improve fish welfare standards and practices. Our work is simple: we research the most promising ways of improving fish welfare, and then we enable stakeholders to do so.
How You Will Make a Difference
– Assisting with the implementation of a pilot study, including preliminary assessments of on-farm conditions, auditing farms to check conditions are standardised, and collecting samples for laboratory assessment.
– Building a network of farmer cooperatives who are engaged with fish welfare and interested in welfare improvements.
– Training farmers in fish welfare improvements.
– Conducting surveys and welfare assessments in aquaculture facilities. This will involve periodic travel.
– Drafting white papers on current welfare conditions and recommended guidelines.
– Communicating our findings through blog posts, reports, and possible speaking events.
– Any other duties or responsibilities that may be assigned from time to time by the Managing Director or the Fish Welfare Specialist.
Qualifications and Education
– Have a Master’s degree or three (or more) years of experience. Either must be in a relevant field such as veterinary science, animal science, or zoology with work experience in aquaculture or fisheries.
– Have high levels of willingness to travel frequently within India, and occasionally internationally.
– Have standard knowledge/willingness for improving the welfare of fish, increasing social welfare, and improving business and environmental sustainability.
– Have proficiency in English and Telugu, written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking.
– Be willing to relocate to Andhra Pradesh, but open to move to other states if required.
– Be willing to work irregular hours as demanded by the project.
Ideally you have all of the following characteristics, although we encourage you to apply even if you only have most of them.
– Superior research and implementation capability.
– 1-3 years of experience in the animal protection movement.
– Experience in rural development with fish producers.
– Resilience in the face of sometimes challenging work environments (e.g., when working with producers).
– Proficiency in G Suite products (Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, etc.).
– Excited by intense and rewarding work in a new startup.
– Knowledgeable of and aligned with the core values of effective altruism.
The Fine Print
Location: Andhra Pradesh, India.
Position Status: Full-time.
Pay: 8 to 9 lakhs INR per annum.
Benefits: Health insurance, PF, ability to shape a new organization, an extremely committed and passionate team, and a cause you believe in.
Start Date: ASAP.
Equal Opportunity Policy
FWI is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We encourage people of every color, orientation, age, sex, gender, ethnicity, and ability to apply. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding accessibility, and we will endeavor to make adjustments throughout the process where possible.
How to Apply
Please complete this form.
To apply for this job please visit veganjobs.com.