Website The Humane League UK
The Humane League UK is a charity ending the abuse of animals raised for food by influencing the policies of the world’s biggest companies, demanding legislation, and empowering others to take action. We’re a mission-driven, energetic team focussed on problem-solving and effective teamwork, and have grown significantly over the last few years. Thanks to our targeted approach, our effectiveness in reducing animal suffering and our efficient use of donations, The Humane League has been named Top Charity by the independent evaluator Animal Charity Evaluators for every rating period.
We are seeking an experienced, tenacious, self-motivated individual to support the work of the Open Wing Alliance’s member organisations, working closely with animal protection groups around the world to advance protections for farmed animals. The primary focus of this role is to help develop our scientific arguments for strategic animal welfare initiatives and coherently present these arguments with some of the largest food companies and producers in the world.
For this position, we do require technical knowledge and advanced education (Veterinary Degree/Masters) in farm animal welfare science. On-farm experience required.
If you would like to learn more about the Animal Welfare Specialist role and want to ask any questions, join us by registering for our webinar, taking place on Wednesday, 20th January 2021 at 5:30 PM GMT. You can attend this whether you have applied already or are considering the role and want to find out more. Please click here to register.
Who you are:
- An advocate for animals who has an innovative, relentless attitude towards their work.
- You have a deep understanding of how the poultry industry works and you are determined to use this knowledge to improve it.
- You are as comfortable reading and writing research papers as you are in the boardroom and on the farm.
- You are excited to bring your knowledge to advocates around the world and work with them to put this theory into practice.
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Live and have the right to work in the UK (we are unable to consider applications from those without the right to work in the UK, and proof will be requested prior to interview)
- Be committed to animal welfare and aligned with the mission of The Humane League
- Ability to travel overseas (5-10 days every two months)
With these attributes:
Ideally, you will have all of the following attributes, but if you have most of them, we would still be keen to hear from you.
- Confident & professional communicator (orally and written)
How you can make the difference:
- Remain up-to-date with science and evidence base for poultry.
- Conduct extensive research into the scientific literature and corporate data relating to animal agriculture systems and industries.
- Produce animal welfare education materials for Open Wing Alliance (OWA) members to utilise and share with the animal agriculture industry to support higher welfare initiatives.
- Supporting campaign groups that are working with major food companies to advance protections for farmed animals within their supply chains.
- Produce referenced supporting documentation for our policies on farm animal welfare and deliver presentations on the science behind these policies.
- Professional communication with the animal agriculture industry and when needed corporate executives.
- Travelling domestically and internationally to meet with companies when required.
- Working cohesively with team members intra- and inter-departmentally to coordinate on strategic initiatives.
- Working closely with OWA members to support them and coordinate on strategic initiatives.
- Track industry progress, working closely with other welfare specialists when required.
- Attend conferences and support OWA members at corporate meetings when required.
Good to Know:
Our employees all work remotely but still enjoy a supportive, collaborative environment. You will have access to a workplace pension, 25 days leave plus Public Holidays, flexible working hours, internet reimbursement, and family-friendly policies. Professional learning and development is actively encouraged.
At The Humane League, animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work and as such, many of our employees are vegan by personal choice. All of our events and workshops offer only vegan meals and refreshments.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive environment and being an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of colour and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all applicants will receive unbiased consideration for employment without discrimination based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. To enable us to monitor our progress, we would be grateful if you would complete the short anonymous survey that will be sent to you after you have completed your application.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding accessibility, contact us and we will endeavour to work with you to make adjustments throughout the process.
We welcome applications from all mission-aligned candidates wherever you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food, so if you don’t feel you match all of the requirements, and are unsure whether you should apply, we would be happy to chat through your concerns.
To apply for this job please visit thehumaneleagueuk.peoplehr.net.